[Chicago-talk] theft is good

Steven Lembark lembark at wrkhors.com
Tue Feb 17 22:24:16 CST 2004

-- Jim Thomason <jthomasoniii at yahoo.com>

> So, as I implement a notification center in perl, it
> occurred to me:
>
> Are there any useful concepts or techniques that you
> guys have stolen from other languages?

Read the Camel, there are dozens of references. At the
very least, Perl began as a mix of shell, C, unistd.h,
lisp, ada, sed, awk, and whatever natural languages
Larry studied in college.

Over time it's added a few functional ideas from
C++/Java/Python (largely by avoiding their mistakes).

The Lisp/C/Shell/sed+awk roots are still quite obvious.

                                            +1 888 359 3508