[Chicago-talk] Dealing with normal command line input?

Paul Baker pbaker at where2getit.com
Tue Sep 30 18:27:06 CDT 2003

On Tuesday, September 30, 2003, at 05:51  PM, jason gessner wrote:

> [...snip...]
>
> However, with my own scripts that simply read from
> STDIN (like some of my blogging scripts), any backspaces or arrow keys
> show
> up as control characters.  Is this my environment or is there something
> simple I am missing?

It's probably your environment, but don't fret as this is a very common
occurrence. This is where ^H^H^H^H^H jokes [1] come from. And it's also
why things like Term::Readkey exist to make things "just work." In the
meantime, if you hold down ctrl (or cmd) that should usually work
around the control character problem.

[1] http://slashdot.org/articles/99/02/10/130212.shtml

--
Paul Baker

"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or
will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom?”
          -- Thomas Jefferson in a letter to John Adams

GPG Key: http://homepage.mac.com/pauljbaker/public.asc