[Chicago-talk] straw poll

JT Smith jt at plainblack.com
Thu Sep 11 08:02:15 CDT 2003

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 01:24:12 -0500 (CDT)
  Mike Fragassi <frag at ripco.com> wrote:

>OK, let's sample some opinion.  Please email the list (or me personally,
>if you're shy -- though you needn't be, really!) with your predelicitions
>concerning these questions:
>
>1) are weekend afternoons (once a month) worse or better meeting times for
>you than the current scheme of Monday evenings?

Probably better for me, though I should be able to rearrange my schedule regardless of
when it is, as long as it's not during the day in the middle of the week.

>2) would you come to perl presentations (ie, someone giving a structured
>talk, as we've been doing the last few months) once a month even if the
>atmosphere was more formal -- ie, in an office building instead of a bar,
>no beer, no food (unless someone brings chips or donuts), etc.?
>I.e., is the beer-factor *that* necessary?

I don't drink, but the social atmosphere is certainly nice. Perhaps we could find a
restaurant with a back room, that way we could still have the drinks, and we wouldn't
have to worry about the music. If nothing else, since it's after hours, couldn't we
bring pizza and beer to the office building?

>3) are you at *all* interested in social meetings?  That is, if we
>bothered to set up 2 meetings a month, one for "tech" (i.e., the
>semi-formal tutorial presentation), and one for "social" (in a bar, with
>anything goes) -- would you be at all interested in the latter, or would
>the former do it for you for the month?  Or vice versa?

I'd prefer a mix of the two rather than having two.

JT ~ Plain Black

Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave.