[Chicago-talk] Dec Tech mtg...

Andy_Bach at wiwb.uscourts.gov Andy_Bach at wiwb.uscourts.gov
Wed Nov 26 09:50:31 CST 2003

I'd love to be more fluent in -d, but ... I have trouble/don't understand
setting break points, changing the step (sometimes I want to step through
the subs, sometimes not during the same session) getting partial var
listings and values.  Can you back up?  clean restarting?  Alter values?

okay, so I'm -d clueless, I usually, in desparation, start it, hit 's'
single step through every dang line until I hit the trouble spot 'p' print
the vars I'm befuddled about, quit and restart a few times between code
changes (w/ all the subsequent steppings) and the be done w/ it, once I
see the problem.  To be honest, I've not been in the debugger in probably
a year, due in part to the code I work w/ most often, but also because the
above cycle is tiresome, so I just build in my own debug (and try to write
better code ;-).

Andy Bach, Sys. Mangler
Internet: andy_bach at wiwb.uscourts.gov
VOICE: (608) 261-5738  FAX 264-5030

  The division that includes Windows posted an operating profit of $2.26
billion on revenue of $2.81 billion.
  --from Reuters via
http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/031113/tech_microsoft_msn_1.html

So that's profit of over 400% of investment... with a bit more investment
in Windows technology, particularly in the area of reliability, the profit
percentage might go down, but so might the bugs and security problems?
Seems like it would be a reasonable tradeoff. WalMart earnings are 3.4% of
investment." G. Linderman