[Charlotte.PM] Hello from YAPC::NA

diona at studio12a.com diona at studio12a.com
Tue Jun 26 21:31:44 PDT 2007

Greetings from the YAPC::2007 in Houston! Hope this finds you all doing
well. I thought I would send a quick, fun update to share what is going on
at the conference.

Yesterday, we enjoyed Larry W.'s ever-changing hat collection [1] during
his talk. After which, we joined the BBQ BOF yesterday and went to Goode
Co. where we sat at picnic tables outside next to the great horned
armadillo with glowing red eyes [2].

The action dinner was tonight. The IRC channel #yapc has been pretty
active, even during the auction/dinner. It was projected during dinner and
even Larry W. joined in under an assumed name to banter.

Bids were taken for the auction both in person and through IRC, which was
a little confusing for Uri. Swag was auctioned off along with the Perl
hackers we're all familiar with (Larry, Randal, Allison, etc.). Then Uri
was paid not to belly dance in one of the final bidding sessions.

You can see some of the IRC conversation from dinner in the flickr
collection of Randal Schwartz [3].  Randal has been taking some great
shots documenting the conference.

There have been a lot of great talks. Perrin gave a great talk on managing
large web projects today that I'm hoping to get slides and audio from when
they are posted. If you're interested, let me know. There has been a lot
of talk on Parrot and Perl6 (no, there's not a date yet ;)

Looking forward to seeing you all at the July 19th meeting (location: tba).

Diona

[1] http://flickr.com/photos/randal-schwartz/sets/72157600482210915/?page=2
[2]
http://flickr.com/photos/randal-schwartz/626893969/in/set-72157600482210915/