[Brisbane-pm] Looking for a Perl Monger

Damian James djames at thehub.com.au
Thu Jan 25 02:51:54 PST 2007

Hi Martin,

On 23/01/2007, at 4:21 PM, Martin Jacobs wrote:

> Hi Perl Mongers,
>
> I am looking for some help with a private project of mine. What I
> really need is to be able to sit down with a Perl person and nut
> out some basic coding issues. I don't expect to have someone else
> write the code and/or debug it, but I need to learn Perl and I can
> do it much faster if I can talk to a real live person instead of
> stumbling around on the net.

I'm happy to sit down over coffee and talk through the issues with you.

> I am an engineer (not a code-writer) working in Brisbane. I have
> started an initiative to write an open-source program called
> PERRMOSS because the programs and tools that we currently use in my
> discipline are rubbish. What this means is that the tools that
> local Governments are using to assess environmental impact are
> failing. You can read about PERRMOSS here.
>
> The thing is, I know the engineering theory, but I'm very new to
> Perl. I have managed to get started (thanks to a mate in UK), but I
> need to find some local help. If you can spare some time to help,
> please email me.
>
> I should also add that I don't expect to get paid for this, so any
> contribution that anyone makes to this initiative will be entirely
> voluntary. What I can offer you is some Kudos for helping to sort
> out the environment of our creeks and rivers.

I've done some work on a project tracking disease incidence across
LGAs in Queensland, representing these graphically in various ways.
Nothing very special or flashy, just GD and GD::Graph. Other options
are possible.

I'm based in the inner north/west. What sort of timing/location would
suit you?

Cheers
Damian