[BNE-PM] What do you use Perl for?

Derek Thomson derek at wedgetail.com
Mon Aug 19 21:02:50 CDT 2002

Mike Bissett wrote:

> Well,
> 	Ive used perl since I was at high school,
> generally for dynamic template driven websites with and
> sql backeds (the most famous site I can claim a hand to is
> the register - http://www.theregister.co.uk) which uses
> perl and mysql.

I read it all the time. It's acerbic tone appeals to me.

> At present where I work now (queensland
> government) we use perl to interface with our LDAP and
> X500 direcrtory services. We use perl to deal with
> replication, management, email updates, direct updates and
> of course for the background for the web frontends for
> browsing and updates. Id never user Directories like LDAP
> before i came here and now i wish id used them for most of
> the stuff ive done before, there great.

Everyone here at Wedgetail is very pleased with the Perl LDAP support.
It's nice to get stuff that "just works", and CPAN modules do give you
that nearly all the time.

>  My favourite
> modules must be DBI::, Template::Toolkit, mod_perl and
> Date::Manip ( i know Date::Manip is slow but you can give
> it next tuesday as an input date and it works !!).
>
> I always seem to end up making web based diaries and
> organisers...

You know I've never done any "web programming" (CGI/mod_perl) in Perl?
Even though that's supposedly the Perl "killer-app" ...

I'd really like a "quick intro to mod_perl" if we ever get these
tutorials/presentations off the ground.

Regards,
Derek.