[boulder.pm] Re: electronics kits

Walter Pienciak walter at frii.com
Fri Mar 9 11:43:20 CST 2001

On Fri, 9 Mar 2001, Hank Turowski wrote:

> I was looking for the same thing myself today. I went to the Radio Shack on
> Colorado and got some great stuff. They have resister packs on sale now,
> got three of the Tech America kits with 240 resisters each for about $15
> total. I also picked up a copy of "Basic Electronics Theory" by Delton T.
> Horn. It gets knocked for typos on Amazon, but it seems good. Has simple
> experiments you can do to show examples of the theory presented by the text.
>
> If you really just want the step by step blinking light siren stuff, they
> have that too.
>
> And here are some places you can get kits online.
> http://www.rainbowkits.com/
> http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/
> http://www.globalspecialties.com/ (A little more tutorial, less flash)
> http://www.elenco.com/
>
> I hope that helps.
>
> Hank Turowski

Thanks, Hank,

Little toy gizmos is exactly what I'm looking for.  I have 3 daughters
who I think need an intro to the soldering iron.

It's hard to beat Saunders when I want to buy ONE diode or something
like that.  Or for fun value of browsing up and down their aisles looking
in all the little bins at the thingies.  On the other hand, they don't have
gizmos.  And I wasn't so happy with their prices on bulk cable.  Well,
I guess that's what mail order is for.  And a little birdie told me to
look at Home Depot.

I've heard enough now about the Radio Shack (nee Tech America) on Colorado
and I-25 that I went down.  Wow!  What a fun store.  Best overall
"electronics" store I've seen yet, out here.  It even inspired me to get
some X10 stuff out of the box and set it up for the girls (they're
highly amused to have a remote control for their bedroom light).

ObPerl:  Has anyone played with the X10 Perl stuff?

Walter