Christmas Dinner... (again)

Marty Pauley perl.belfast at kasei.com
Thu Nov 29 10:45:47 CST 2001

On Thu Nov 29 13:32:21 2001, Karen Pauley wrote:
> Hi Marty,
>
> Am I correct in thinking that anyone who is vegetarian can have a
> vegetarian version of any of the main courses or starters?

Yes, there are many ways to get vegitarian variations, and the chef is
working on a more well defined vegitarian menu.

1. The tsukedashi is usually some green bean thing with a sauce.  The
sauce may contain a little bit of fish stock (but no fish).  You could
get it without the sauce if you want.

2. 'dashi' is a stock made with kelp and bonito flakes: kelp is a
seaweed (so vegi-safe) but bonito is a fish.  The kelp and bonito are
filtered from the dashi before it is used.

3a. tempura can be supplied without prawns, although the usual plan in
group meals is to order the standard tempura, give the prawns to Karen,
and take her veg since she really only wants the prawns :-)

3b. yakitori could be made without the tori, if you specified a
vegitable replacement component.

3f. vegi-safe

3g. vegi-safe

3h. with some advance notice you could have vegi no nigiri :-)

4x you could have vegi teriyaki

4e. swap the prawns with Karen again.

4h. vegi-safe

4i. don't get the katsu

There will also be miso soup (not mentioned on the menu), which contains
dashi but otherwise is usually vegi-safe.

For Russell I would recommend the age dofu (again, not on the menu, but
I am going to get it) as a starter: it is deep fried tofu; you can get
it without the sprinkled bonito flakes.

The chef is always helpful, and will make you something special if you
can't find anything suitable on the menu.  If anyone has any special
requirements, let me know and I'll ask the chef.

--
Marty