CGI Timeout

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Mon Nov 19 14:56:56 CST 2001

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 03:06:23PM -0000, Terrential wrote:
> right it seems that I may have caused a bit if confusion with my questions,
> I have this product called UBB, its a message board [commercial product
> http://www.infopop.com]

Ultimate Bulletin Board *shudder*.  Fear and loathing bubbles to the
top of my throat.  This is a rather horrid product. [1]  But from the
description of your setup that sounds like only the beginning of your
troubles.

> so what I've had to do is set up a unix server that allows relays for
> this specific IP address.  so now my UBB [on iis 5 win2k] can send
> emails courtesy of my unix server located elsewhere in the UK.
> problem is that it takes a while for the perl script process to
> connect to the unix server send the mails and then get back.. thats
> what causes the timeout.  I want to stop the server from timing out.
> any ideas??

Buh.  Well, I'd say speed up the connect time to that Unix mail
server.  Or even better, junk this Rube-Goldberg setup and run the
whole thing on on one machine, web server and all.

Otherwise, if UBB is going to be doing a lot of this mailing, keep the
SMTP connection open between mails so you don't have to keep
reconnecting.  But that sounds like it would require fiddling with the
guts of UBB which voids your support contract.

Hold on, support contract?!  Why not call InfoPop?

[1] I'm American, I don't have to be polite.  It's in the Constitution
somewhere.

--

Michael G. Schwern   <schwern at pobox.com>    http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
Perl Quality Assurance	    <perl-qa at perl.org>	       Kwalitee Is Job One