Template toolkit

Tony Bowden tony at blackstar.co.uk
Mon Jun 18 14:20:14 CDT 2001

On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 05:56:44PM +0100, Steve Rushe wrote:
> Has anyone out there used Template::Toolkit all that much? I've been
> playing around at home with HTML::Template and was wondering whether
> I should think of moving to TT before I get too involved.
> What advantages does TT have over HT? And what disadvantages?

Yes. I use it for almost everything I do now.[1]

It has lots of advantages over HTML::Template, BlackStar::Parser and
their ilk in that it's much easier to define the look and feel of
multiple documents rather than one by one. e.g., when used for HTML,
it's much more useful for managing the look of a *site*, whereas most
of the others are good for a *page*.

It makes the easy things trivial, and the difficult things possible.
Or something.  It DWIMs quite nicely - pass it a scalar, a list, a hash,
a coderef, an object - whatever you want, and it just handles them
all seamlessly.

There's a good intro to it in last year's TPC proceedings - Andrew's
bringing back some copies for everyone.

Tony

[1] Other than BlackStar of course, and I have plans there too ;)
We should be able to move seamlessly to it, by changing the delimiters...