[bcn-pm] YAPC::EU::2010 Newsletter #01 2010/01/25 - The when, the where, the who and some thank you!

Alex Muntada alexm a alexm.org
dim gen 26 14:52:11 PST 2010

Jo ja m'hi he apuntat, qui més vol venir a Pisa?
/alexm

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Enrico Sorcinelli
Date: Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 16:15
Subject: [Conferences] YAPC::EU::2010 Newsletter #01 2010/01/25 - The
when, the where, the 	who and some thank you!
To: conferences a yapceurope.org

Hi all,

greetings, and welcome to the very first YAPC::EU::2010 newsletter!

Summary

   In this issue:

   * Conference theme
   * Conference dates
   * Venue
   * Tickets and availability
   * Sponsors
   * Contacts

   So let's get started!

§ Conference theme: The Renaissance of Perl
   The conference theme is the Renaissance of Perl. This topic pays homage
   to Italy's role as the cradle of the Renaissance, and acknowledges how
   Perl is far from a dead legacy language, but is constantly being reborn
   with, for example, the parallel initiatives of Perl 6, and the Modern
   Perl 5 movement.

   (note: we know that these days it's the Perl Enlightenment, and that
   Perl Renaissance was around 2001-2004, but we're in Italy, not in France
   :) )

§ Conference dates
   We are now able to confirm the tentative dates published on Twitter some
   time ago:

   YAPC::EU::2010 will be held from 4 to 6 August 2010.

   We expect sunny and warm Summer days, so don't forget to bring your
   solar protection!

§ Conference venue
   Our primary venue turned out to be a no-go... but that's OK, because we
   had a Plan B! Our secondary venue turned out to be a no-go as well...
   but even this is OK, because we had a Plan C!

   The conference will be held in:

   My One Hotel Pisa Conference Centre (
   http://www.myonehotel.it/eng/galilei/default.asp )

   Rough map: http://bit.ly/8FN64F

   This venue also has 4-star hotel rooms at a reasonable price, many of
   which are reserved for the conference. It's therefore possible to sleep
   there, which - besides making the venue only an elevator ride away - is
   an ideal choice for after-conference BOF, hackatons, etc. On the other
   hand, the place is a bit outside downtown and uneasy to reach via public
   transport, so if your idea is visit Pisa and/or have some late-night fun
   you might want to choose a place to sleep closer to downtown.

   Shuttles will be provided, running from downtown Pisa, for the
   conference. Hotel shuttles are available from the (nearby) airport.

§ Tickets and availability
   This venue should be able to hold 400+ people, so there's no attendance
   limit at present time. Registration will be open on Act, as usual, as
   soon as we have a catchy website layout.

   Ticket price will be announced in the next newsletter.

§ Sponsors
   We have already had a great deal of fantastic initial support from some
   lovely people:

   * Shadowcat Systems UK, agreed to support us even before our bid was
   accepted!
   * YEF themselves have offered a "kickstart donation" to help with
   early-stage costs
   * And the almost unfeasibly lovely hosts of YAPC::EU::2009 in Lisbon
   have also given a kickstart donation!

   This really shows how organizations, both commercial and charitable, in
   the Perl world are dedicated to ploughing their time and money back into
   the community. YAPC::EU::2010 wouldn't be possible without help like
   this!

   We'll be placing an official call for sponsors very soon, but if you
   can't wait for our next newsletter, please get in touch, and we'll be
   delighted to discuss!

§ Contacts
   Twitter: http://twitter/yapceu2010

   Website: http://www.yapceurope.org/2010/

   E-mail: yapc-info a perl.it

All the best,

  - Enrico Sorcinelli
    on behalf of Italian Perl Conference Team