First meeting location proposal

Pablo S. Jusem pablo at eudoramail.com
Fri Jul 2 11:59:10 CDT 1999

Hi all.

Just a suggestion for a meeting time and place:

Thursday, July 8th, 7-9 pm, at the Daily Grind.

The Daily Grind is a cafe at 501 W Cold Spring Road, next to Loco Hombre/Alonso's, in front of Sam's Bagels, a block down from Video Americain, between Charles Street and Roland Avenue, one mile east of the JFX Cold Spring exit.

Herewith is a link to a map:

http://yp3.superpages.com/supermaps/mapinit.phtml?CID=54991519208&T=baltimore&LC=2&N=daily+grind&PG=L&PM=00000010&PS=8&STYPE=S&R=N&SRC=by&S=MD&MC=&map.x=212&map.y=125&level=8&lat=0393445&lng=-0766310&POI1lat=0393445&POI1lng=-0766310&POI1name=Daily+Grind+Coffee&streetaddress=&city=Baltimore&state=MD&zip=21210&LID=993104462&LS=&display=1&AD=&GV=0&GL=&FN=

Ouch!  It actually works, as long as you copy and paste. If you'd rather, go to bigyellow.com and look up the Daily Grind.

And if you like, driving directions are found through this link:

http://yp3.superpages.com/mapquest/cgi-bin/mqtripplus.cgi?var1=yp3.superpages.com&var2=none&var9=by&var10=S&CITY_DESTINATION=Baltimore&STATE_DESTINATION=MD&ADDR_DESTINATION=501+West+Cold+Spring+Lane

Please suggest alternative meeting spaces and/or times. This is just to get us started.

Do we ultimately want a place where a computer and overhead projector would be available?  One idea might be to "double-up" with another user group.  UMBC has a LUG, Linux Users Group, that meets on a regular basis at a nice classroom at UMBC on Tuesdays and Sundays.  I've only been to one meeting.  It would seem natural to have a PUG meet before or after a LUG.  Here is the UMBC LUG page:  http://linux.umbc.edu/umbc-lug/

While looking up this page (at www.linux.org), I noticed a new LUG has started in Charles Village.  I'll try and get more info.

Finally, by way of introduction, since this is my first message to the list, a line about me:  My name is Pablo Jusem.  I live in Baltimore and work in DC supporting an officeful of Macs.  I'm just learning Perl and slowly trodding through the llama book. I'm also getting up to speed on Linux so that I can retire an ancient Mac server that keeps on falling (and can't get up).

#!/usr/bin/perl
$signed = <STDIN>;
if ($signed eq "Pablo") {
   print "Sincerely, $signed";
}
else {print "This message may have been forged";
}