APM: Perl Catalyst

Will Braswell wbraswell at hush.com
Sun Nov 10 14:14:25 PST 2013

Hi Jack,
I guess you must've missed my requests for Perl topics to be discussed
at our monthly Austin Perl Mongers meetings?
Clearly, Austin.pm is the venue for all-things-Perl in Austin.  By all
means, request Catalyst as the topic of our next meeting(s), including
the 11/26 November meeting if you like!
Perling,~ Will BraswellAustin.pm Prez

On 11/10/2013 at 12:23 PM, "Jack Lupton"  wrote:Hi Everyone,
I am trying to learn Catalyst. I've got the books. I've got sites set
up. But, it seems really complicated.
I had this idea to create a meetup.com group for Perl Catalyst, or
more generally for Perl web frameworks including Dancer, Mojolicious
and the half-dozen others. Of course any discussion of Catalyst would
include DBIx::Class and Moose. In the process of creating the group, I
got a listing of people in the Austin area that list Perl as one of
their interests. It was a surprisingly large list, around 45.
I wonder if this is a topic that would interest anyone. Is anyone
using Catalyst? Anyone willing to make themselves available for
questions? How about teaching classes: intro, actions, database
interactions, forms, etc?  I get the feeling that most of the Austin
Perl VIPs have moved on to other things. Personally, I'm not really
interested in Perl 11 or Perl 6. I mean... I find it interesting, but
I need help learning and using the practical stuff that is in
production now.
After getting through the process of creating a Meetup group, I
decided it was not something I could afford right now. Especially, if
the interest level is uncertain. If anyone else thinks there is enough
interest that could warrant creating a meetup group, I would be happy
to help with it. Otherwise, maybe there would be enough interest
within this group to get started with an investigation into Perl web
frameworks.
Thanks for reading. Responses and thoughts are welcome.
Jack Lupton