APM: Parrot & Rakudo: Why did they name it Perl 6? I don't think anyone's even going to call it "Perl".

Ian Remmler ian at remmler.org
Sun Jan 25 09:34:51 PST 2009

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 05:12:41PM +0000, jameschoate at austin.rr.com wrote:
> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/7sazl/parrot_rakudo_why_did_they_name_it_perl_6_i_dont/

Interesting take.  The intent of using Rakudo was to indicate
that the Parrot-based Perl 6 is AN implementation, instead
of THE implementation like Perl 5.

s/perl/rakudo/g would defeat that purpose, so I was about to
dismiss the idea, but now I'm wondering if naming just the
executable as rakudo might not be just enough of a psychological
nudge.  You'd still have Perl Monks etc., but when people see
/usr/bin/rakudo, they'll know it's something distinct from
Perl 5.

--
    - Ian.