APM: reading/writing (Acrobat) PDF

Sam Foster austin.pm at sam-i-am.com
Tue Sep 12 21:15:53 PDT 2006

> Since I willan-haven-on-when-be-on-needunk( 1 ) to read PDF's for
> nasty things also, I've been watching the references go by in lists
> and on Perlmonks.  And what I think I've seen is the regretful
> conclusion that PDF::API2 is at least the more modern, and _possibly_
> the 'best'.
>
> The problem I keep seeing mentioned is that the packages good at
> reading, aren't so hot at writing.  So finding one that can pass-thru
> with slight mods ...
>
> You might post a question on Perlmonks, after perhaps searching a bit
> there.

I'm looking over the API2 threads. Seems like I'm not the only one
struggling without documentation. I think it maybe assumes a knowledge
of the PDF format. Or maybe just postcript-y documents. I've been spoilt
- I'm a html/xml  guy. DOM looks really good right about now.
Downloading the spec - I was hoping to avoid this - but it looks like
I'll need to take the plunge (or just abandon the project, which starts
to look more likely at 11:15pm)

> Does that mention of PDFlib lite help any, under Limitations in
> PDF::Template?

I'll try and build this on my machine at work and give it a whirl.

> (1) Please pardon the gratuitous H2G2 reference,

as it happens, "needunk" is a googlewack:
http://www.google.com/search?q=needunk
fancy that...

Sam