APM: March Topic Suggestions Sought

Mike Stok mike at stok.co.uk
Fri Mar 3 15:50:09 PST 2006

On 3-Mar-06, at 6:17 PM, tmcd at panix.com wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Mar 2006, Wayne Walker <wwalker at bybent.com> wrote:
>> A different way of creating objects.
>
> As a tangent, I saw a book at Borders: I believe it was _Perl Best
> Practices_, which would be Damian Conway's recent book.  It had what
> looks like a quite interesting technique for building classes in Perl,
> "inside-out objects".  It also talked about the value of certain CPAN
> modules to improve code structuring ("use base", for example, to avoid
> the @ISA stuff).  But I had only a few minutes to look at the book.
>
> Has any here read the book and think it worth getting?

I reviewed it, and we have been using it to guide us in a couple of
largish projects at work.  While it is pretty good, you should be
careful about which guidelines you pick.

Personally I find Class::Std too much of a nuisance to use, to me the
pudding is a little over-egged - but I have been seduced by the red
side, and so you can ignore me ;-)  I particularly don't like the
baroque-feeling markers and attributes, and even the lighter-weight
and better behaved Object::InsideOut uses attributes to mark
subroutines.

Try it on something and see.  I like Damian, and amazed by what he
can make Perl do, but a couple of years of maintaining old and crufty
Perl code which sometimes uses tricks deliberately, other times
accidentally, has made me leery of anything but the most vanilla Perl.

Mike

--

Mike Stok <mike at stok.co.uk>
http://www.stok.ca/~mike/