APM: queue server and 30,000 files

Sam Foster austin.pm at sam-i-am.com
Fri May 21 11:26:58 CDT 2004

thanks for all your time and advice with my 30,000 files problem.
At the wednesday meeting we sketched out a "queue server" that would
maintain a central queue of say - filenames - that one or more clients
could request and process.
I found more boilerplate code in the perdocs at and around
/perldoc/lib/Pod/perlipc.html#sockets__client_server_communication

.. that I *almost* have working. There are also lots of implementations
of one kind and another on cpan. I guess there's things I'm supposed to
know about Queues that I would have been taught had I ever been taught
anything about programming. But I'm a fine arts graduate picking it up
as I go along. Please bear with me :)

The urgent need for this stuff is about passed, but I'll continue to tinker.

thanks,
Sam