APM: encryption with Perl

Mike South msouth at fulcrum.org
Sat Apr 19 15:11:27 CDT 2003

>From austin-admin at mail.pm.org  Sat Apr 19 14:28:08 2003
>From: Jack Lupton <itnomad at earthlink.net>
>
>I have recently become very interested in encryption with Perl and PHP.
>The specifics of the different algorithms don't interest me as much as
>how to use them.  Even downloading and installing the modules is turning
>out to be a challenge.  Crypt::OpenPGP just would not install.  The
>dependences could not all be satisfied.

Hi,

just to see what would happen, I tried installing (using CPAN).  There
was a significant number of dependencies, but the CPAN module did its
magic.  I'm not sure if you are one a system where this works, but here's
what I did:

(as root)

perl -MCPAN -e shell
cpan> install Crypt::OpenPGP

there was much discussion of dependencies, and I always responded that
I wanted all the modules (even the optional ones) installed.  Then
it went through the installation and finally got to Crypt::OpenPGP.
It reported the installation as going ok.  I have not tested it further.
I saved off the list of dependencies in case it would be of use to you: