Perl Debate Time ;-)

Arthur Corliss corliss at sinbad.net
Sat Mar 20 14:16:24 CST 1999

Greetings:

One of the semi-contentious debates I see on the newsgroups is on the use of
local vs my.  There's even been some rumbling about having local deprecated,
though I doubt it'll ever be considered by the higher echelons.

I'm bringing it up here just to see what our local programmers are doing,
which they prefer, and what instances they'd use one over the other.

Personally, I only use local (currently) for private subroutines within a
subroutine.  I hate polluting namespace.  :-)  My, of course, is used for
everything else, especially since I religiously use strict mode.

So, what preferences do you guys have?

	--Arthur Corliss
	  Bolverk's Lair -- http://www.odinicfoundation.org/arthur/