Welcome!

Arthur Corliss corliss at sinbad.net
Mon Mar 8 19:36:39 CST 1999

On Mon, 8 Mar 1999, Roxanne Reid-Bennett wrote:

> > Hey, out of curiosity, aren't SSLeay, and the like only available for
> > non-profit use?  And does anyone have information on the licensing costs of
> > commercial implementations?
>
> No.  "However"... The license actually reads "free for commercial and
> non-commercial use outside the US".  It's available for use within the
> US fee free as far as the authors in Australia are concerned. However
> you have to license the RSA technology from RSA for commercial use. I
> think it's free to non-profits, or at least minimal fees.  That's
> because of the Patent's that RSA holds on the RC4 (and RC2?) encryption
> modes.

That's right.  Kind of annoying not to have the same freedoms than the
Outside.  :-P

> You can also attempt to build SSLeay w/o the RSA crypt stuff - but I
> haven't tried that.

What other algorithms would be usable, then, and how widely supported by
browsers?  I wouldn't have that the mainstream browsers would support much
more than RSA.

	--Arthur Corliss
	  Bolverk's Lair -- http://www.odinicfoundation.org/arthur/