Welcome!

Roxanne Reid-Bennett rox at tara-lu.com
Mon Mar 8 19:14:05 CST 1999

Arthur Corliss wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Mar 1999, Leif Sawyer wrote:
[...]
> > Have you looked at the  PerlSSL mod?  I'm just starting to pay attention
> > to it, and see about installing it on a couple of our apache servers.

No I haven't. I've looked at the specs for SSL - which is why I'm
attempting to use the SSLeay interface instead of coding my own SSL
post/response handler in C. [or more truthfully converting one to suit
from the samples available in various (highly obscure) locations]

> Hey, out of curiosity, aren't SSLeay, and the like only available for
> non-profit use?  And does anyone have information on the licensing costs of
> commercial implementations?

No.  "However"... The license actually reads "free for commercial and
non-commercial use outside the US".  It's available for use within the
US fee free as far as the authors in Australia are concerned. However
you have to license the RSA technology from RSA for commercial use. I
think it's free to non-profits, or at least minimal fees.  That's
because of the Patent's that RSA holds on the RC4 (and RC2?) encryption
modes.

You can also attempt to build SSLeay w/o the RSA crypt stuff - but I
haven't tried that.

Rox
Roxanne Reid-Bennett                       rox at tara-lu.com
President, Tara-Lu Corporation     http://www.tara-lu.com/