Welcome!

Arthur Corliss corliss at sinbad.net
Mon Mar 8 16:24:23 CST 1999

On Mon, 8 Mar 1999, Fred Steinberg wrote:

> Well now, it seems we've got some interest!
>
> Thanks to Arthur Corliss, who spread the word via the Linux Users Group
> mailing list.

<G>  That was hard.  ;-)

> This is more or less the first thread on this list, so I guess intros all
> around are in order (one other person and I have been through this, but
> there's so many new members I figure we can start again).
>
> My name is Fred Steinberg; I'm the list admin, so feel free to direct
> complaints and suggestions my way. I've been using Perl on and off for 4 or
> 5 years now, and am currently using it to write a web-based interactive
> calendar.

<G>  Same here, though I imagine yours is more for collaborative scheduling.
Mine's just because I've gotten too lazy to update a b-day & anniversary page
for the Corliss Web, a site dedicated to the rather small family name.  :-)

> I don't have any plans for this group; I imagine as activity increases
> we'll arrange some sort of get-together. I know most of you are active in
> the Linux group, so feel free to use your experience from that to suggest
> what-all we should be doing!
>
> Arthur has registered a domain for us, and offered to host a web site as
> well. (Arthur, please speak up if I'm wrong.) Our first order of business
> might be to try and get that going.

Gotcha.  I don't know if anyone here is graphically gifted, but we could whip
up a template for a site in short order.  A few ideas for content:

	Perhaps a web-based tip section (perhaps threaded like usenet, for
	variations and improvements.

	Perhaps a useful script archive for the "Perl can solve all Problems"
	department.  ;-)

Anyone have any others?

Another order of business--do we have enough people who can get away once or
twice a month to have a meeting?  Perhaps we can have someone cover specific
functions or modules each time.

> For some ideas, here's a list of the other groups, with links to their sites
>     http://www.pm.org/groups.html

	--Arthur Corliss
	  Bolverk's Lair -- http://www.odinicfoundation.org/arthur/