Banner/Link exchange proposal (fwd)

Roxanne Reid-Bennett rox at tara-lu.com
Wed Dec 22 19:32:50 CST 1999

corliss at alaskapm.org wrote:
[...]
> Now, what is everyone's preference?  Do a simple reply to this message to send
> me a private vote. . .

Arthur, under almost any condition I'd vote for a "reply" to go to the
author, and the writer would have to work to have the reply go to (just)
the list.  However, with the list as "dead" as it currently is, changing
the default behavior, at least for a period of time, may actually
encourage discussion that wouldn't take place any other way.. If for no
other reason than people saying "oops".

Jeremiah Johnson wrote:
> I don't want to have to do extra work to get this list to behave like
> every other list on the planet.

I'll disagree with you on this one, in general.  The net standard (at
least the last time I read it) highly recommends that "reply" go to the
author *as the standard*.  There are all sorts of reasons for that
behavior, most of them apply to higher-volume lists.  [and considering
that for a period of about a year I was running over a dozen mail lists
generating between 100-750 messages a day to several thousand
subscribers, I paid close attention to what kind of traffic was going to
the lists, and what the configuration brought to the table for the
readers and the managers.]

However, different people have different preferences.  This group is
small enough and the list traffic is light enough that the other
configuration (reply going to the list) won't degrade the quality of the
content on the list <g>.

Rox
Roxanne Reid-Bennett                       rox at tara-lu.com
President, Tara-Lu Corporation     http://www.tara-lu.com/

"Microsoft has dinosaurs in their DNA. Where would *you* go today?"
(See Internet Week Dec 6th Issue, page 1)