The Perl Journal, issue 13

Arthur Corliss corliss at sinbad.net
Thu Apr 29 11:07:41 CDT 1999

On Fri, 23 Apr 1999, Michael Fowler wrote:

> Local Perl Mongers,
>
> I just got my issue of The Perl Journal today.  I thought I'd share what
> interesting tidbits I've gleaned in the half hour or so of reading, seeing as
> noone else seems to be sharing anything.  I'm not sure how many of you out
> there have subscriptions, but if you don't and enjoy Perl, I would suggest
> getting one (www.tpj.com).

One of these days I'll actually send in the subscription card, instead
of buying it off the shelf at Barnes' every quarter. . .

> This Perl Mongers list is listed in the News section, yay!

Everybody hear the news that the Perl Institute is being disbanded?
Perl.org and CPAN.org will be handed over to the Perl Mongers
organisation.

> TPJ Perl Oneliner #29 may prove insanely useful:
> 	sub is_balanced {
> 		my $it = $_[0];
> 		$it =~ tr/()[]{}//cd;
> 		while ($it =~ /\(\)|\[\]|\{\}//g) { 1 }
> 		return !length($it);
> 	}
> This subroutine returns true if all of the parens, brackets, and braces in
> the string are balanced.
>
> Another useful TPJ Perl Oneliner (#32):
> 	($definition) = <<'FINIS') =~ s/^\s+//gm;
> 		The five varieties of camelids are the familiar
> 		camel, his friends the llama and the alpaca, and
> 		the rather less well-known guanaco and vicuna.
> 	FINIS
> this allows you to indent a here-doc without printing the indentation.  One
> caveat, however: you can't use it in conjunction with a subroutine (e.g. die
> <<'End_of_Death' =~ s/^\s+//gm; won't work).

Some of these can be found in the Perl Cookbook as well.  Speaking of
one-liners, though, anyone interested in rolling up a CGI-based
one-liner database?  I think that would be a cool thing to put on
alaskapm.org.

And on that topic, no, the site is not dead, but awaiting some help from
a buddy of mine for layout/colour schemes/graphics, etc.  If there's
anyone here that wants to participate, drop me a line!  And for the rest
of you, please send in your ideas on what can make it a valuable and
useful resource on-line.

:-)  Let's get some traffic on this list!

	--Arthur