[AmsterdamX-pm] Schedule of mini YAPCs

Upasana Shukla me at upasana.me
Sun Aug 9 12:01:36 PDT 2015

This month we're getting lots of amazing speakers for two mini YAPCs.
Don't miss them!

Please also fill in the following form if you intend to come:
For 19th August:
https://nl.surveymonkey.com/r/VQDFQQR

For 25th August:
https://nl.surveymonkey.com/r/VQJR3PZ

Time: 18:30 - 21:00 (theoretically)
Location: Booking.com, Herengracht 597, Monaco room on 1st floor.

Talks on 19th August:

Edward O'Riordan :: A year designing with data

* Data and design are often seen as incompatible. Design is empathic,
emotive, and artful. It is a craft that can not be fully rationalised,
reduced to numbers, or planned in advance. Data, on the other hand,
is rational and objective.
* It is a scientific endeavour that proceeds in a formulaic way toward
certainty. Having worked this last year designing with data, I have come
to see these ways of thinking as deeply naive.
* This talk shares my journey in coming to see data as a tool that
deepens—rather than diminishes—the fundamentally human nature of design.

Ben Tyler :: Mojo::Pg and managing callbacks with Mojo::IOLoop::Delay

* Still feeling Node.js envy? Looking longingly at the Go master class
at YAPC::NA? Wait! Perl has you covered! Mojo::Pg is a lovely little
wrapper around the asynchronous bits of DBD::Pg: it allows your web app
to serve other requests while the database is crunching on that hairy
query with fifteen JOINs. When combined with the world's tiniest
callback manager (Mojo::IOLoop::Delay), you end up with a set of tools
for writing sane async web applications without overflowing the right
margin of your editor. Good times!

Talks on 25th August:

Ben Tyler :: Distributed Systems 102: CRDTs for Poets and Perl Hackers

* In which a humanities major reads a bunch of papers on distributed
systems theory and attempts to explain them in plain language.
* Fortunately, conflict free replicated data types (CRDTs) are just a
straightforward monotonically increasing join semi-lattice with a least
upper bound accomplished by enforcing idempotent and commutative merge
functions (producing strong eventual consistency as long as the
transport is eventually reliable). No sweat!
* Come learn about conflict free replicated data types, what they can do
for you, and why they might be interesting for all kinds of
applications, not just for the Amazons and Googles of the world.

Maxim Vuets :: Warm and fuzzy text matching

* I had a problem: got two somewhat-structured music playlists that were
overlapping and I wanted to merge them together.
* In this talk I will explain what fuzzy text matching is; cover a
couple of techniques to do it; and showcase how Text::Fuzzy helped me to
solve the problem. Colored terminal examples included.

Upasana :: Introduction to Meta Object Protocol

* Two years ago, I did an intership through GNOME's Outreach Project for
Women to work on Moose (an Object Oriented system written in Perl), I
worked with two Moose experts as mentors and through the grant helped
improve the internals of Moose.
* Moose heavily uses a Meta Object Protocol to support various features
like introspection of classes, creation of classes at runtime,
modification of class definitions at runtime etc. It is possible to
change the behaviour of Moose, even without knowing about the Meta
Object Protocol, but with the knowledge of the Meta Object Protocol,
changing Moose becomes easier.
* In this talk, I will share what I have learned about the Meta Object
Protocol during my grant work and beyond. No previous knowledge of Meta
Object Protocol is required, but you need to be familiar with Object
Oriented Programming.

See you there!

--
Upasana