[ABE.pm] Is this a crazy idea?

Faber J. Fedor faber at linuxnj.com
Sat Feb 17 18:03:00 PST 2007

On 03/02/07 12:10 -0500, Faber J. Fedor wrote:
> And another thing...
>
> To display the comapny data, I need to either A) store all of the data
> in the web page and redraw it with Javascript which is doable but that's
> a lot of data being trasnferred or B) use AJAX to pull the data.
>
> If I use AJAX, does that mean I have to SELECT the data from the
> database, unserialize it with Storable, serialize with the $XMLSERIALIZE
> module, send it to the web page and unserialize it again?

Actually, Faber, what you can do is this: serialize the data into text
fields in your database table, have your AJAX call the back-end
function, SELECT the data, format it with HTML and CSS, *then* pass it
back to the web page.

Alternativeley, you could pass the JSON object straight through the AJAX
call and HTML-ize the data in Javascript, but I think it's easier to do on
the back-end in Perl.

Faber Fedor
President
Linux New Jersey, Inc.