[ABE.pm] I'm a Mac user!

Walt Mankowski waltman at pobox.com
Fri Aug 18 08:44:39 PDT 2006

On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 11:05:28PM -0400, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
> * "Faber J. Fedor" <faber at linuxnj.com> [2006-08-17T22:46:11]
> > On 17/08/06 22:30 -0400, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
> > > GNU ls is in GNU coreutils, which I compile.
> >
> > What's the diff between GNU ls and OSX ls?  I just ran a few examples
> > lses (sp?) and I don't see a diff.
>
> color support, for one thing.

I think that was what I wanted with ls.  But I really just used ls as
an example.  You get used to all the gnu versions of the commands when
you're on linux, and most of them have a lot more features than their
BSD equivalents.

> > The OSX perl isn't A Proper Perl?
>
> It's really perl, but it uses the /Library structure, etc.  I recompile a new
> perl as soon as I install OS X so that, when a new perl version comes out, I
> can install that and nothing much changes.

That's pretty much my approach on my Debian box, but I find I don't
use perl as much on OS X so it hasn't really been an issue for me yet.

Walt