[ABE.pm] I'm a Mac user!

Faber J. Fedor faber at linuxnj.com
Thu Aug 17 19:23:03 PDT 2006

On 17/08/06 21:43 -0400, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
> * "Faber J. Fedor" <faber at linuxnj.com> [2006-08-17T19:07:49]
> > Well, I finally broke down and bought one of the low-end Macbooks.
> > Actually, it's the bottom end Macbook; since I'm going to upgrade the
> > memory anyway the 10% increase in processor speed between the two bottom
> > tiers didn't account for much.  Oh, and I bought an iPod too.
>
> The bottom two tiers differ in a larger regard: the middle one goes from
> CD-RW/DVD-ROM to DVD-RW.

Since I've never burned a DVD on a laptop (and rarely on my desktop
other than for backups) that was a non-issue for me.

> > So, what neat stuff do I need to add to this little guy?  What's the Mac
> > equivalent of apt-get and where do I find a real terminal program (like
> > Konsole)?
>
> Terminal.app is what you get, and it's just fine, for most use, imo.  Just fix
> its settings.

I like Konsole's (and before that SuperTerm's) tabbed sessions.  I'd
rather switch tabs than windows when taking care of multiple clients.

> Some people like Fink or DarwinPorts, which are apt-like.  I use neither.

I've seen those.  I don't think either is ready for x86 prime time,
though.

> > Hey!  it's got screen!  And vim! I'm impressed!  Those and bash and I'm
> > ready to hack the system.
>
> And ruby!

You're right!  Cool!

> > Rick, you showed me something where the GUI itself...disappeared and was
> > replaced by something else (you did show it to me after a few beers
> > remember)...kinda like the LookingGlass (?) extension to X that Novell has
> > done (3-D cube interface, etc.).  What was that?  I tried explaining it
> > to the sales gal but she had no clue  as to what I was talking about?
>
> I have no idea.  QuickSilver?  quicksilver.blacktree.com

They don't show any screenshots, so I'm not sure.  I'm not goingto
install anything new on this machine until I get some decent memory.

> > And where did you get your memory from?  I'm look at 4Allmemory.com, 2 G
> > for 230 USD.
>
>   http://rjbs.manxome.org/rubric/entry/1301

Sweet!  Thanks.

Surprisingly, I don't find the iPod/iTunes stuff all that intuitive, but
I bet I'm "using it right".  I've got podcasts listed under music, video
podcasts listed under video AND podcasts (the former playing the video
and the latter playing only the audio) and a few other "weird" things.

The big test will be tomorrow, in my back yard, hacking my latest code
on a remote server.

Faber Fedor
President
Linux New Jersey, Inc.