[ABE.pm] What's new in ABE Perldom?

Phil Lawrence phil at five-lawrences.com
Thu Jul 14 06:34:20 PDT 2005

On Jul 14, 2005, at 9:12 AM, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:

> Man, the list has been so dead lately!  What's everyone up to?
>
> I also got to meet Meng Wong

Great guy.  Hung out with him a lot in Boca Raton for YAPC 2003.

> What's everyone else up to?  I'm pretty sure you're not all dead.
> Maybe
> everyone has abandoned Perl for Python and Java, though.  (Speaking of
> which, my first day at OSCON this year looks to be eight hours of
> Python.  That should be fun...)

I went to Pycon this year...  was hoping to discover a good web app
framework.  Turned out that was a major topic for the conference.
Purportedly, all Python programmers go through a phase were they roll
their own web app framework.  :-)  Problem is, the frameworks are all
out there, hawking their own benefits, and there is ZERO clear
winner.  In fact, there are so many, there is basically no way to
know what to use.  Most of that community's conversation took the
form of "what shall we put out there as an answer to Ruby on Rails?"

Of course there were individual voices saying "Zope is best," or
"Twisted is a great underlying framework that more of our web app
frameworks need to standardize on," but the gist of the conference
for me was...  just use Ruby!  :-)

Oh, and to clarify, no new Perl form me for a while.  :-(

Phil