arrival dinner idea

Uri Guttman uri at stemsystems.com
Tue May 19 10:00:56 PDT 2015

On 05/19/2015 12:40 PM, Ya'akov Sloman via yapc wrote:

> Dave's event is organized (largely) on dietary principles. Other events could have other organizing principles if people feel drawn to them.
>
> In the end, not everyone "arrives" in time for the "Arrival Dinner", and not everyone choosing to join the "anti-Arrival Dinner" is dissenting.  I will be with Dave this year, but it's not because I am against Uri's event; a genuine YAPC tradition.  All sincere expressions of community should be welcome and, from my perspective most certainly are something I will advocate for; even if I don't participate.

even when the arrival dinner had good veggie/vegan choices the
anti-dinner had happened. according to dave it is as much about the
smaller crowd as it is the food choice. and i am fine with it. herding
100 perl hackers at a dinner is not easy, especially those times where i
had to collect payment and even worse when i had to pass the hat as we
under-collected. also the 'anti' prefix was always a joke and i still
take it that way. it was never a social comment but more like an
anti-proton. which means if the arrival and anti-arrival dinners ever
collide, we can make warp speed engines!