arrival dinner idea

Ya'akov Sloman yaakov at perlfoundation.org
Tue May 19 09:40:50 PDT 2015

For many years I have attended the arrival dinner even if I could only sometimes eat some of the food on offer. It's a social event, but it's not a plenary. Dave's alternative offers another choice, and yet others could be organized (as Abigail points out).

I think perhaps the idea of "anti" is outdated. One of the salient features of the Perl community (shared by many other "communities") is that there are many affinity groups of varying sizes all in orbit around Perl, and sharing that as a cohesive force.  Plenary events are nice, but universality isn't an organic sort of thing.  Having many different options that can be comfortable events for the different sorts of people is good.

Dave's event is organized (largely) on dietary principles. Other events could have other organizing principles if people feel drawn to them.

In the end, not everyone "arrives" in time for the "Arrival Dinner", and not everyone choosing to join the "anti-Arrival Dinner" is dissenting.  I will be with Dave this year, but it's not because I am against Uri's event; a genuine YAPC tradition.  All sincere expressions of community should be welcome and, from my perspective most certainly are something I will advocate for; even if I don't participate.

Let's focus on the commonality, not the differences — that's actually the sustaining strength of YAPC, a community conference.

I LOVE YOU ALL WITH A GREAT HUGE LOVE,
Ya'akov