arrival dinner idea

Uri Guttman uri at stemsystems.com
Tue May 19 09:35:47 PDT 2015

On 05/19/2015 12:07 PM, Abigail via yapc wrote:
> On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 05:33:53PM +0200, Sawyer X via yapc wrote:
>> +1 to that.
>>
>> That's actually why I won't go to the Arrival Dinner in the first place.
>> Having a wide range of people for the Arrival Dinner (literally anyone), I
>> would have hoped people would opt for a place that accommodates as many
>> people as possible while a grill place accommodates only some.
>>

> Yeah, well, we've had an arrival dinner for years (2003 was the first
> one, IIRC). Most (all?) have been organized by Uri, and while there
> have always been complaints, not many have stepped up and organized
> an alternative -- Dave being the most notable exception.

the first arrival dinner i attended was in pittsburgh but it wasn't
labeled as such or announced in general. i first organized one
(impromptu) at boca raton (an all you can eat sushi place - what year
was that?). i have organized them many of the years since then.
sometimes with help from the yapc team, sometimes like this at the last
second. and i have no problem with dave's anti-arrival gang and
attendees can do whatever they want sunday night.
> I'm not going to YAPC for its awesome food options -- I'm there to
> meet up with people. That's why I also go to the Arrival dinner, for
> the people, not the food.

that is the whole reason i do this, to get yapc attendees together for a
social time before it gets all crazy during the actual conference.

thanx,