arrival dinner idea

Walt Mankowski waltman at pobox.com
Tue May 19 07:21:45 PDT 2015

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 10:29:50AM +0200, drforr--- via yapc wrote:
> On 2015-05-19 10:18, Uri Guttman via yapc wrote:

> >>+1 # "Dragon Grill" is also known as Mongolian barbecue, one of my known
> >>weaknesses. If they (properly) allow you to do your own seasoning, an
> >>additional +1 will be added :)
> >
> >as i said, boston has an american version with a giant round grill
> >they cook all the food on. i have seen them in nyc and read about them
> >elsewhere. it allows major customization of your meal(s).
> > this one claims to have 17 sauces you choose from for the grill. if
> >that is your own seasoning, they it is +1 for you.
>
> We shall see. Khan's is a legendary chain of Mongolian in Minneapolis, and I
> dragged Walt M. to a Mongolian place I spotted in Dublin when he was there
> :) I probably shouldn't reveal this on a public mailing list :) but the
> trick is that chefs usually add water or sesame oil when the sauces you've
> poured over your bowl evaporate, so you hand them a *second* bowl with
> additional sauces, so you get better flavor.

I enjoy a good Mongolian BBQ as much as the next guy [1], but all the
places I've ever been to have been fairly small with only 1 or 2
chefs. I'm worried how well this might scale up to several hundred
people. Might well be awesome, of course, but make sure you give them
a call to make sure they can handle it.

Walt

1. So long as the next guy isn't Dr. Forr.