World Cup Viewing in Orlando pre-YAPC

James E Keenan jkeen at verizon.net
Fri Jun 13 19:18:45 PDT 2014

Once every four years we are torn between the joy of YAPC::NA and the
joy of the World Cup.  So as not to interfere with YAPC itself, I would
like to propose two social activities for those who are arriving in
Orlando *before* the conference.

3 Round 1 matches are scheduled on each of Saturday and Sunday, June 21
and 22.  You can get the full match schedule for those days via internet
search.  I'm going to propose matches I personally would want to see,
and if you are interested in doing likewise, let the list.  Once we get
some commitments, I'll schedule the event on the wiki.

Option 1:
Sat Jun 21: 18:00 EDT: Nigeria v. Bosnia & Herzegovina
Find a sports bar near the Doubletree; watch; eat; imbibe.

Option 2:
Sun Jun 22: 18:00 EDT: USA v. Portugal
* 2a: Find a sports bar near the Doubletree; watch; eat; imbibe.
Or:
* 2b: There will be a free outdoors screening of the match at Wall
Street Plaza in downtown Orlando.  http://bit.ly/1pVAsjN  This would
entail walking/driving about 2 km from hotel.

I realize that Option 2 would conflict with the traditional Arrivals
Dinner, but so far there hasn't been much momentum for that (though the
Anti-Arrivals Dinner is filling up nicely).

If you are interested in either option, ping me off-list or on.  Once
one of the options gets 5 attendees, I'll commit to it and put it on the
wiki.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan