[yapc] Talk submissions are closed

David Fetter david at fetter.org
Thu Apr 29 11:50:02 PDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 07:42:08PM +0100, Matt S Trout wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 11:02:42AM -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 01:46:34PM -0400, Rob Kinyon wrote:
> > > The last couple slots have been taken. So, unless you can
> > > convince a friend to drop his talk, the only option is a
> > > lightning talk on Monday or Tuesday.
> >
> > Rob,
> >
> > I know you meant well by this, but please, NEVER encourage anyone
> > to do their not-accepted long talk as a lightning talk.  It simply
> > won't fit in the time allotted, and makes the speaker look like a
> > desperate fool.  A lightning talk is a completely different beast
> > from any other kind, and is something you write from the ground up
> > as a lightning talk.
>
> David, I know you meant well by this, but please, NEVER discourage
> somebody from submitting a lightning talk for any reason.

Matt,

You're mistaken on this.  I have data, and quite a bit of it, as you
know.

I've watched people try to "condense" longer talks into lightning
talks, and not one time EVER has a good thing come out of it.  Not
once have I ever seen the person making this mistake do a lightning
talk that was better later, nor, for that matter, a longer
presentation later.  The humiliation is inevitable, and that's an
incredibly potent de-motivator, both for the potential speaker and for
the audience.

Doing that is a speaker-career-ending move.

Cheers,
David.
--
David Fetter <david at fetter.org> http://fetter.org/