[yapc] Talk submissions are closed

Walt Mankowski waltman at pobox.com
Thu Apr 29 11:55:42 PDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 11:50:02AM -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> You're mistaken on this.  I have data, and quite a bit of it, as you
> know.
>
> I've watched people try to "condense" longer talks into lightning
> talks, and not one time EVER has a good thing come out of it.  Not
> once have I ever seen the person making this mistake do a lightning
> talk that was better later, nor, for that matter, a longer
> presentation later.  The humiliation is inevitable, and that's an
> incredibly potent de-motivator, both for the potential speaker and for
> the audience.
>
> Doing that is a speaker-career-ending move.

For what it's worth, I once condensed a 40-minute talk into a
lightning talk at PPW.  I think it worked pretty well.  It was
obviously a very different talk, but the process of deciding what's
*really* important can be beneficial.  So it's certainly possible to
do it.

Anyhow, as has been pointed out several times now, this whole thread
is based on a misinterpretation of what Rob intended in his email.

Walt