[yapc] Pre-Conference Dinner

Packy Anderson yapc at packy.org
Fri May 30 08:24:24 PDT 2008

> > Dorms are notoriously problematic so I'm staying at the Hotel.
> > I hope the neighborhood in Chicago has improved, as has been
> > posted. It was super scary last time and I'm still waiting on my
> > t-shirt "I survived". Guess I shouldn't hold my breath. ;)
>
> Super scary :) I don't know if it was really that bad, but even if
> it was, it should be better now.  There is a big reconstruction
> effort around the campus.  They have torn down a lot of the rougher
> stuff and haver started construction on relatively expensive
> townhomes.

Super-scary?  Oh, come on.  I stayed in the dorms in 2K6, and I didn't
think the neighborhood surrounding campus was scary at all.  Not a
high-rent district, but it seems like neighborhoods surrounding
college campuses seldom are.

Of course, my perspective may be skewed by being NYC-raised; my
personal definition of "bad neighborhood" is, perhaps, rougher than
most.

-packy