[yapc] Hackathon Preparations: Wireless Access

James Keenan jkeen at verizon.net
Wed Jun 27 05:51:00 PDT 2007

In order for the Thurs-Fri hackathon to come off well, we need to
clarify some questions concerning wireless net access:

1.  What is its status in the room in the Multipurpose room in
Oberholtzer Hall?  Will we be using a UH wireless network directly?
Or will we have to plug an access point into the wired circuit and
broadcast the signal ourselves?

2.  Will we need UH logins in order to get online?  If so, will that
be the named login and password that dorm residents (at least) got
when checking in?  And will those logins still be valid on Thursday
and Friday?  Or will we be "UHGuest"s?

3.  In the conference center, setting up our own access points has
been invaluable in terms of providing SMTP, ssh and IRC, none of
which are directly available on the wired access here in the dorms.
Will we be able to set that up in Oberholtzer?  If so, of people who
will be around Thursday and Friday, who has the equipment and who has
the know-how?

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan