[yapc] Networking problems

Dave Lundy lundyd at dmapub.dma.org
Mon Jun 26 10:40:06 PDT 2006

Paul Cory wrote:

> Guys,
> I can get on the network just fine from MSV, but when I go the the
> Hermann Bldg for conf activities, the DHCP server sends me messages
> about my IP address already being in use ....
> ....and then refuses to give me a new IP address. Which means I can't
> access the network at all from the conference site.
> Any ideas? I'm using Mac OS 10.4, and reboots, logouts, using the
> Network preference panel to refresh my lease and changing locations
> in the NP have all failed.
> Paul

Are you using a software firewall?  I don't have any experience with OSX, but
I've had similar problems with the Guarddog firewall that many Linux distros,
including KnoppMyth, use.  I haven't found a proper solution yet, but disabling
the firewall solves that problem.  Since I have my own external hardware
firewall and I'm not using wireless, turning off mt software firewall doesn't
really bother me.  But in a campus situation, there must be a better solution.
 I'd love to hear what it is.
- --
Dave Lundy   <http://www.dma.org/~lundyd/>
Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (MingW32)