[yapc] A word of caution

Andy_Bach at wiwb.uscourts.gov Andy_Bach at wiwb.uscourts.gov
Thu Jun 15 13:08:08 PDT 2006

Just another note:  I've wandered (even staggered) around those areas
later at night and ridden the El at all hours and have never run into
anything close to trouble.  Usual 'big city' ideas - don't be stupid (stay
out of back alleys or unlighted streets, don't try to conduct an illegal
transaction w/ parties unknown etc.), aggressive or real drunk by
yourself.

Yes, people do get mugged (even here in Madison) but I wouldn't be hiding
in the dorm by sundown because of it.  Looking at:
http://www.chicagocrime.org/streets/adams_st/

The "busiest" block had 2 thefts in June (yes, 2 reported thefts) at 9am
and 3pm and 2 for the month of May.  So its not like gangster-ville or
anything.

Andy Bach, Sys. Mangler
Internet: andy_bach at wiwb.uscourts.gov
VOICE: (608) 261-5738  FAX 264-5932

"Accurate measurement is the begining of all wisdom."
- Imhotep c.a. 2650 B.C.