[yapc] More on Power Plugs (and adaptors)

Uri Guttman uri at stemsystems.com
Thu Jun 23 10:07:59 PDT 2005

  WM> At some point did you consider just buying a cheap 240V hairdryer?  Or
  WM> just letting her hair dry in what hear was a miserable heat wave?

we were there just before the heat wave but you aren't married so you
don't know how wives can be regarding hair dryers! :)

  WM> Also many hotels in Europe that cater to North American travelers have
  WM> a 120V plug in their bathrooms just for situations like this.  OTOH, I
  WM> don't think I've ever seen a European plug in an American hotel
  WM> bathroom.  (Or maybe I just don't stay at those hotels in the
  WM> states...)

we were very smart about our stay there. we rented a full apartment for
less than most of the yapc'ers paid for lousy hotel rooms (750 EU for
the week). we had cross ventilation at night and cool air. we actually
needed to use light blankets. and we also had a kitchen, bathtub, living
room and it came with a free cable modem net connection and the
boyfriend of the apartment dweller helped get my laptop online. it was
great surfing to find info about paris while IN paris. :)

but there was no 120 sockets for sure there.

btw voltage transformers come in different styles for power
reasons. there are low power ones for charging stuff and clocks and the
like. they can be on all the time and use little current. and then there
are the big bricks for hairdryers and other power hungry things. make
sure you check the power and time ratings when you buy voltage
converters.

Uri Guttman  ------  uri at stemsystems.com  -------- http://www.stemsystems.com