[yapc] More on Power Plugs (and adaptors)

Uri Guttman uri at stemsystems.com
Thu Jun 23 09:47:19 PDT 2005

>>>>> "WM" == Walt Mankowski <waltman at pobox.com> writes:

  WM> On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 11:50:53AM -0400, Dan Sugalski wrote:
  >> Also check and see what plug you need. Most 
  >> laptop adapters I've seen have a detachable power 
  >> cord that plugs into the transformer brick, with 
  >> the national power plug on one end and on the 
  >> other's a universal two-lobed plug and socket 
  >> thing. I know Radio Shack in the US sells a 
  >> universal adapter kit for these things that has a 
  >> set of plugs on one end and that generic 
  >> two-lobed thing on the other. If that's the case 
  >> you may have a lot more options, since you may be 
  >> able to trade spare cords or plugs with someone.

  WM> My powerbook's power brick says it can handle 100-240 volts, so it
  WM> should be able to handle either North American or European power.
  WM> Chances are whatever laptop you have is similar.  In that case all you
  WM> need is an adaptor to fit the different shaped plugs.  I've got a set
  WM> which I'll be happy to bring with me.  I'm arriving Saturday evening,
  WM> though I'm going to the Argonauts game so I probably won't be at the
  WM> hotel much until later in the evening.

and i have two sets of those universal plugs. radio shack sells them and
i bet most any decent electronics shop anywhere does too. these are
unpowered and just allow any plug and any socket via several plug
thingies. it is a set (of 4 i think) and not one piece.

another place to look for them are travel book/map stores. avoid the
airport ones as they will be crummier and more expensive. the standard
universal kit is made well but i have seen cheaper and crummier subsets
(one socket type to one plug type) too.

when i went to yapc::paris i was able to use my laptop with the
appropriate plug adapter as it has the standard universal voltage power
brick. but my wife's hairdryer needed a transformer type which i got in
the states. we plugged in the (stupid) round prongs and it worked but it
had no grip on the prongs (which are very inflixible :( ) so it fell out
of the socket (which was high on the wall) and it snapped off a prong of
the transformer thereby transforming it into a heavy lump of
uselessness.  i can't see anyway to repair such a broken prong as it was
molded into the body with a metal core. NA plugs have simpler flexible
blades which can bend and also get tightly gripped in the socket. so we
had to traipse all over paris onw afternoon trying to find a voltage
transformer. took a couple of wild goose trips (famous big department
store didn't have them but some other large store did) but we replaced
it and paid a lot more too.

so should i bring my plug conversion kits for any other euros? i arrive
sunday afternoon.


Uri Guttman  ------  uri at stemsystems.com  -------- http://www.stemsystems.com
--Perl Consulting, Stem Development, Systems Architecture, Design and Coding-
Search or Offer Perl Jobs  ----------------------------  http://jobs.perl.org

More information about the yapc mailing list