[yapc] BOF requests?

Christopher L. Everett ceverett at ceverett.com
Thu Jun 5 15:25:16 CDT 2003

Andrew Brosnan wrote:

> So are you saying that you now use Class::DBI rather than the DBI
> module? I've been wondering recently about Class::DBI and would be
> interested; especially advantages/disadvantages vs DBI.

Between Class::DBI and HTML::Template my web applications are
becoming just some glue between classes that handle getting
data to/from the browser via the web server and Class::DBI.

The overhead is something to track carefully.

But, you only need to set up a table using Class::DBI once.  I've
begun using it it as the place where I define the various aspects
of how we do business, eg in one place I have:

    my $account = Physemp::Model::Account->retrieve($account_id);
    $account->full_database_access_enabled({
       begins => $self->{formdata}{start_date},
       ends   => $self->{formdata}{end_date}
    });

and another I have code like

    my $account = Physemp::Model::Account->retrieve($account_id);
    return DECLINED unless $account->full_database_access_enabled;

and so on.

The last project I did, was recoding somethin I already had up
with Class::DBI.  It dropped about 40% in actual Perl code size
measured in bytes, but had more functionality built in.

YMMV, of course.

There.  Someone had to sling some code around, so I went ahead
and did it :)

--
Christopher L. Everett
Chief Technology Officer