[Yapc-na-organizers] Attendance Numbers for past YAPC::NA

Bob Clancy bob.clancy at verizon.net
Thu May 7 06:52:19 PDT 2009

Hi Jim,
    Those graphs look much flatter than I would have thought they would have
been.  (I only glanced quickly at them.)  I was expecting a very big tail at
the end.  I've volunteered locally for http://www.agilebazaar.org in
producing and hosting two recent two day weekend seminars.  We open
registration 10 weeks prior to the event with periodic price step increases
every two weeks.  That helps to get more earlier registrations which helps
to predict demand so we can adjust mid marketing/registration window if
needed.  In the recent economy, we found that less people were attending,
but I think the low-priced seminar/conference market (hosted at
colleges/institutions) is going better than privately run
conferences/seminars at hotels.  The biggest cost for a YAPC attendee is
probably airfare and time off from work.  Increasing the publicity channels
also helps as well as local merketing near the end to your "non-flting"
potential attendees.

--
Bob

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 9:31 AM, Jim Brandt <cbrandt at buffalo.edu> wrote:

> Here are some crude graphs I made up years ago when I wanted to see how
> much I should panic when registrations were low in May:
>
> http://yapc.org/America/previous-years/2004/yapc_reg_2002.html
> http://yapc.org/America/previous-years/2004/yapc_reg_2003.html
>
> I believe 2004 was 241.
>
> Note that there is some variance in counting rules (counting people who
> registered but didn't come, etc.) over the years and different systems were
> used before ACT, so these numbers are a bit slippery.
>
> The last 2 years should be in ACT.
>

> Robert Blackwell wrote:
>
>> I am wondering of we have official attendance counts for past YAPC::NA.
>>
>> I am exploring doing a graph to show at YAPC|10.
>>
>> 2009
>> 2008
>> 2007
>> 2006
>> 2005
>> 2004
>> 2003
>> 2002
>> 2001
>> 19100
>> 1999
>>
>> If someone is the keeper of the official numbers please let me know.
>>

>> Thank you much
>> Robert Blackwell
>>

> --
> Jim Brandt