[Yapc-na-organizers] Promoting the Job Fair

Richard Dice rdice at pobox.com
Wed Mar 21 07:20:16 PDT 2007

I really liked the set-up of the job fair at YAPC in Chicago.  I thought it
added a lot to the conference in a lot of ways.

I didn't have the same negative feelings that some other people appear to
have had regarding the urinal business card episode.  I thought it showed a
lot of creativity on the part of the recruiter (Todd Cranston-Cuebas, at
TicketMaster in LA.  He's also the leader of LA.pm and I expect that the
contact that Bill and I have made with him will lead to many great things).
I can understand how some people might have found it "tacky", but I think
that's the worst that could be said of it. And one person's tacky is another
person's whacky, and another's creative.  I respected that he was willing to
give it a try.

This is *not* an endorsement for more urinal business card placements, by
the way.  It's been done, and it obviously accomplished its goal which was
to get people talking and thinking.  But I like seeing people try new
things.  So I look forward to the next unexpected new thing.

Cheers,
Richard