[Yapc-na-organizers] ideas for housing payments

Jeremy Fluhmann fluhmann at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 07:19:18 PST 2007

Hey everyone,

I'm working on the housing and food worksheets that UH wants filled out.
The form states that the group is responsible for making payment on the
dorms and meal plans instead of the individual person staying in the room.
Here's my request for ideas.  I'm trying to figure out how to structure the
conference pricing to include housing and meals.  One option is to have
separate prices on the YAPC::NA site for the following:
early bird - $85
early bird w/single room (3 nights) - $184
early bird w/double room (3 nights) - $145
normal price - $100
normal w/single room (3 nights) - $199
normal w/double room (3 nights) - $160

But, then there's also the food costs:
3 meal packing in the RFoC (Real Food on Campus) all-you-can-eat -
$21.25/day
the 3-meal package is broken up into the meals as following:
 * Breakfast - $5.75
 * Lunch - $6.75
 * Dinner - $8.75
So, assuming someone's first meal is breakfast on Monday and last meal is
lunch on Wednesday (minus the auction dinner):
 $21.25 * 2 + 5.75 + 6.75 - 8.75 = $46.25
But, if people are like me, they rarely eat breakfast and I never ate
breakfast at YAPC::NA 2006.  Also, I know several people went off-campus for
dinner last year.  And I'd rather not include prices for variations on food.

We might try to utilize UH's Cougar card, a declining value meal card.
Then, we could include something like:
w/ $20 Cougar card
w/ $40 Cougar card

That would include 6 more prices in the pricing scheme.  I liked the
"shopping cart" from last year.  I'm wondering if future ACT-hosted sites
could implement a shopping cart.  Another alternative to the meal pricing is
to just not include it on the conference pricing and let everyone fend for
themselves.

Another problem is accommodating the people staying longer than the
"typical" conference stay Sun-night through Wednesday afternoon.  We need to
be able to accommodate these people with housing and food.

Should we try and include "all" pricing options in the choices for the
conference?  Should we separate the housing and food out into an external
shopping cart?  Should we separate out only the special cases of extended
stays?

I welcome any and ALL thoughts and ideas.

Thanks,
Jeremy