[WindyCity-pm] File transfer over serial ports.

Jonathan Rockway jon at jrock.us
Wed Dec 19 14:04:46 PST 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 13:28 -0800, Richard Reina wrote:

> I am trying to find a way to transfer small files from one linux
> computer to another over serial ports. Does anyone know where I can
> get help writing a perl script that will do this?

Can't you "cat file > /dev/ttyS0" on the sending end and "cat /dev/ttyS0
> file" on the receiving end?*  If you're worried about data loss, just
md5 on both sides and manually compare the checksums.

If you insist on perl, this look good:

http://search.cpan.org/~cook/Device-SerialPort/SerialPort.pm

[*] Incidentally, I was doing VoIP before it was called that many years
ago like "cat /dev/dsp | nc remote.host 1337" and "nc -l -p 1337
> /dev/dsp".  Effective and simple :)

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway