[Wellington-pm] Next meeting

Grant McLean grant at mclean.net.nz
Thu Dec 23 19:55:05 CST 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-24 at 14:08 +1300, Malcolm Allison wrote:
> i'm creating a service (Win32) using perl and perlsvc from the
> activestate dev kit. so far everything is going swimmingly except for
> reporting startup errors back to the service control manager. i can
> write errors out to a log file, but would really prefer to have
> something useful output directly to the user.

It seems a little unusual to me to want a service to interact directly
with a user's desktop.

I'd have thought that the system event log would be the place for more
detailed messages from a service.  You should be able to write to the
event log using the 'Report' method in Win32::EventLog (although I've
never tried it).