[tpm] [OT] Javascript to watch for certain KW from a web page

Antonio Sun antoniosun at lavabit.com
Wed Oct 10 06:51:35 PDT 2012

Hi, thanks a lot for your offer Shaun.

That was actually what I thought the solution to be. Now let's forget what
I said and focus on what I need to accomplish.

Yes, I totally control the page content. The situation is,

I am designing a web portal that can launch back-end server side processes.
The problem is that the process can finish in seconds, or it might
need hours to finish, depending how much work the process has. So my design
is to spawn a sub process, and capture all its outputs to a log text file,
then return immediately to the user, in a web notice page saying, your job
is queued; here is the log url; please check manually if is finished or
not.

But my all my fellow coworkers said they don't want to check
themselves. Instead, they want my web portal to check for them. I couldn't
think of any solution from the server side to capture the end of the sub
process, then informed the already submitted web notice page. Hence, I'm
turning to the javascript front-end for solutions. Because I have zero
knowledge of Javascript, it might not be feasible at all. But I know the
best solution is that if I can have a desktop notification mechanism just
like gmail does, that should solve the problem, because my sub
process control task does know when the sub process ends, and write a
specific ending tag to the end of the log file, which is what I was
planning to watch/search for. Every page of my portal does include a
standard master template (except the log text file), so if I can send a
signal at the end of my sub process and capture that by the master
template, then pop up a javascript window, that will do as well.

Sorry for the lengthy gibberish, hope that you can figure something out
from it.

Thanks